Sunday, January 23, 2011

I not talking to you, I talking to him!



...said the little girl hawking postcards at the Sphinx to me as she patted BA's belly. Nuff said about that!

Let me start with Cairo is a street photographer's dream. All I want to do, even though I am not a street photographer, is stand still and shoot. There are tons of people, talking, smoking, moving from place to place all at dizzying speed and full of expression and emotion. It's incredibly inspiring.






It was a crazy day today. A lot of hurry up and getting nowhere, at least that is what it felt like. We walked over to the Egyptian Museum late morning and joined the throngs puttering about the artifacts. BA opted for a self tour experience while the rest of us hired a guide for an hour or so. We learned a bunch and saw some extraordinary pieces of history. It is unbelievable how much is there and the guidebooks are correct when they describe how poorly labeled things are and how remarkable pieces are simply lumped together in a cabinet with no description whatsoever. That said...amazing statues of pharoahs and scribes, hieroglyphics I so wish I could read and decipher the content of! That isn't even to mention the King Tut exhibit.

It was a lot to see and at some point it all began to look the same. In Thailand they talk about getting "temple-ed out" and here it is possible to get "tomb-ed out" after a while. We decided to hit the Khan el Khalili bazaar and grab lunch there. HAH! 

The bazaar was a sprawling behemoth and we just could barely take it.



Couldn't find the recommended restaurant and we all started to get cranky. I have always been able to orient myself in a city but I could not get a grasp of where we were exactly. So finally we opted for late lunch in Zamalek and jumped in a cab back to 26th of July street for a civilized meal.

We like this area of Cairo best. It is soho like and much more gentrified than the rest of the city. Tomorrow on to Siwa!





2 comments:

  1. love the hats...can I blog them????? very accessorator!!!! Sounds like you're having a fabulous time...so friggin cold here can't breath..even hunter doesn't want to go out!!! Miss you..have a ball...can't wait to see siwa!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Angels, please post! we are a little worried, but happy to see you are not in the Times ;) xxooo

    ReplyDelete